Skip to content ↓

A Day in the Life

Blue and White!

Warwick School secured the title of U18 National Champions after a superb 27-5 victory over Bishop Wordsworth’s School at Twickenham.

Warwick’s record in the NatWest Schools Cup goes from strength to strength. Warwick is only one of three schools to have had both U18 and U15 teams in the National Cup Finals and the only school to have done it twice, in 2017 and 2014.  

The U18's was Warwick’s second appearance of the day, at the NatWest Schools Cup finals, with the U15 team also challenging for the national title against Wellington College. Despite a valiant effort, the U15s came away disappointed losing 25-12 to a formidable Wellington team.

U15 Wellington 25 - 12 Warwick

Try scorer Jack Forsythe (c)

The opposition, strong from the start, scored their first try and converted after just three minutes to take a 7-0 lead. However ten minutes later it was Warwick who shone. A midfield scrum near halfway gave them a superb attacking platform, and captain Jack Forsythe emerged with the ball on the right, tore down the field and put in the perfect step to put down under the posts and with Jack Aston’s  conversion, Warwick levelled the scores, in style.

Although the smaller team, Warwick stood up to the Wellington physical strength, to which many teams have succumbed this season and at half-time the score stood at 7-7.

Once again the opposition came out strong with full back Max Thomas to put his team 12-7 clear. Five minutes later Wellington’s Fin Baxter (and man of the match) scored his second try, duly converted. Despite Wellington’s dominance Warwick held firm and four minutes later, Warwick hit back, with full back Ethan Evan Cook, on the receiving end of a crossfield kick, putting down to close the gap to 17-12.

Both sides were evenly matched for the next ten minutes but a stunning set piece move saw Wellington take a 22-12 lead, and shortly after a penalty, extended their lead and the score remained at 27-12, with Welllington College taking the title.   

The Warwick side put in a strong skilful performance, as they had all season to book their place in the Twickenham final, and came away worthy runners-up in the U15 NatWest Schools Cup.

U18 Warwick 27 – 5 Bishop’s Wordsworth

Full back Nick David

The U18’s started with huge intensity and within eight minutes Kieran Curran powered over the line.  Just six minutes later Warwick sent a huge maul from near the ten metre line to within inches of the Bishop Wordsworth’s try line. The referee ran underneath the posts for a penalty try.

Right- wing Will Tanner added the conversion for a 12-0 lead, and eight minutes later he was called into action again as hooker, Kyriakos Grammatopoulos, powered over from short range converting for a 19-0 lead. Almost immediately afterwards Tanner took a long range penalty to extend the lead.

The intensity of the match then subsided for a short while but Bishop’s Wordsworth took their chance and their left wing scored a try to bring the score to 22-5 at half-time. 

all we see is blue and white!

For the second half both sides held firm and eventually Warwick’s Nick David took full advantage of a gap in Wordsworth’s defence and scored Warwick’s fourth try to secure a final score of 27-5.

Warwick School lifted the Schools’ Cup to an almighty cheer.

It was a tremendous day of rugby for Warwick School. Both Warwick teams put in huge performances on the pitch, whilst the support in the stands was without doubt the strongest of any other school at Twickenham that day. Warwick took a huge blue and white army down the M40 to the Finals, which made its presence fully known.