Whether you dream of becoming an elite performer in your sport, or just love spending time being active with your friends – Warwick School Sport has a place for you. Pupils at Warwick are encouraged to fully immerse themselves into the life of the school, and involvement in sport is key to this.
The school prides itself on providing an enjoyable, purposeful and varied programme of sporting activities aiming to develop a love of physical activity that extends beyond the boys’ time here at Warwick. We want Warwick boys to “Aim Higher and Inspire”, to grow and improve in all that they do, to conduct themselves positively and to be an inspiration to those around them, both within the school and the wider community. To do this we encourage boys and staff to embrace our four core ‘BEAR’ values:
Bravery – having the courage to have an opinion, make decisions and inspire others by your actions.
Effort – trying your hardest, bringing energy and never giving up - but also recognising and celebrating other people’s efforts.
Attitude – staying humble, respecting other people and the team ethos, and having a positive attitude towards learning and improvement.
Responsibility – taking ownership of your own progress through self-discipline and attention to detail, along with and supporting each other to develop as athletes, leaders and team mates.
The Rugby, Hockey, Cricket, Tennis and Swimming programmes cater for the vast majority of pupils at the school, however there are also opportunities in a variety of other sports either in PE and Games lessons or as part of our extensive co-curricular provision.
Boys have the opportunity to enjoy Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Canoeing, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Cross-country, Dodgeball, Football, Handball, Indoor Climbing, Racket Ball, Rowing, Sailing, Squash, Table Tennis, Tchoukball, Ultimate Frisbee, Uni-hoc, Water Polo, and more…
Our provision also includes:
- High quality and experienced coaches (including three RFU Level 4 coaches and two Level 4 Hockey coaches).
- Access to outstanding facilities including nine grass rugby pitches, a 3G rugby pitch, two Astroturf hockey pitches, 5 cricket fields, a swimming pool, a performance gym and a cardio gym, two squash courts and two sports halls.
- Strength and Conditioning programming and training.
- Mentoring and individual athlete support.
- Regular fixtures (midweek and weekends) and events for all performance levels in a variety of sports.
- Opportunities for those who are developing their skills or engage with sport as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Sports tours (domestic and international).
- A highly competitive programme of inclusive House sport.
Warwick boys have enjoyed significant national success in recent years in a variety of sports.
- Our 1st XV Rugby team have reached the final of the National School’s Cup competition four times in the last six years - winning on two occasions (2017, 2018) and finishing as runners up in 2015 and 2019. The U15s have also shared in this success, winning in 2013 and 2014 and finishing as runners up in 2015 and 2017.
- Our 1st XI Hockey team reached the England Hockey Cup quarter finals in 2019. The U13 team were crowned Midlands champions in 2018 and the future looks bright as our U12 and U13 teams were both County Champions in 2020.
- In 2016 our U15 cricketers reached the National T20 final played at Arundel Castle. Our U13 and U15 age group teams regularly reach the regional rounds in their respective T20 cup competitions.
- Our swim teams continue to be prominent on a national level with our U13, U15 and U18 teams qualifying regularly for the ESSA (English Schools Swimming Association) Championships Finals held at the London Olympic Aquatic Centre. In 2019 the U18 Water Polo team came 2nd Place in the ESSA National Plate Competition and our U13s qualified for the ESSA National Final tournament.
Importantly, our sporting successes have been built on ‘homegrown talent’ developed from within the school and this is something we are immeasurably proud of.
No matter where boys appear on the sporting spectrum, Warwick School strives to provide a programme of sport and activity that is challenging and enjoyable. Our hope is that when boys look back as Old Warwickians, they have fond memories of their sporting experiences and value the time spent together outside of the classroom.