The Entrance Examination for 11+ and 13+ for 2021 entry will take place on Saturday 16 January 2021.
Applications for our Entrance Examination for 11+ and 13+, for 2021 entry, are now closed.
However, please contact our Admissions Team on email@example.com if you are interested in applying for your son to join Warwick School.
Entrance at 11+ (Year 7)
Candidates for entry to Year 7 of Warwick Senior School are required to sit an entrance examination consisting of:
The mathematics component will test understanding of the Year 5 and Year 6 curriculum. There will be a mixture of long and short questions, some easy, and some more challenging! Candidates should expect there to be worded questions to test your problem-solving skills. There will also be extension questions that test the ability to apply known material in unfamiliar situations. There will be no trick questions.
The mathematics test takes as a basic minimum Level 5 of the National Curriculum, but will extend many topic areas beyond that point.
The following topics may all be tested in the examination:-
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of whole numbers, fractions and decimals, including long multiplication and division.
- Conversions between fractions, decimals and simple percentages.
- The concepts of factors, multiples and prime numbers.
- Negative numbers will only be in context.
- Extending number sequences.
- Fractional or simple percentage parts.
- The construction of simple formulae involving one or two operations.
- Simple problems involving ratio and direct proportion.
- Simple language associated with angles will be assumed and the angle sum of a triangle and that of angles at a point.
- The symmetries of 2D shapes.
- Converting from one metric unit to another.
- Co-ordinates in the First Quadrant.
- Constructing reflections in horizontal or vertical lines.
- Formulas for the perimeter and areas of rectangles and triangles.
- Problems involving the 24-hour clock.
- The mean, median, mode and range of discrete data and very simple examples of probability.
The test lasts for 1 hour and calculators are not allowed. The test is designed so that only the most outstanding candidates will finish, with the last few questions being designed to make them think in increasingly original situations. A typical able candidate will complete about 85% of the paper. Candidates are advised not to rush, but to take their time and work steadily; they should show what they can do rather than worry about what they cannot do.
NB: the test is now 1 hour and the sample paper is 45 minutes which will give you an idea of the type of questions and format.
The English Entrance Paper consists of two sections: comprehension and essay with each section lasting 30 minutes. The candidates are asked to answer shorter questions on a prose passage for the comprehension and are given a follow on task for the essay. The paper is not designed to test any prior knowledge of specific terms but should be accessible to all applicants. The comprehension questions test vocabulary, inference, empathy and the ability to select appropriate information. The essay title is designed to elicit an imaginative response and it will be marked for spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Unfortunately, due to current restrictions, we will not be able to conduct our computer based ability test. We will, therefore, be asking candidates to complete a paper-based Non-Verbal reasoning assessment. There is not a sample paper for this component of the entrance examination but a number of practice booklets and papers are available to purchase online.
About two weeks after the examination all candidates are invited for a short interview. However, where performance in the entrance examination is deemed worthy of consideration for a scholarship, this will take the form of a scholarship interview for which a separate invite will be issued.
Entrance at 13+ (Year 9)
Candidates for entry to Year 9 of Warwick Senior School are required to sit an entrance examination consisting of:
- A Mathematics test (1 hour)
- An English test (1 hour)
- A verbal reasoning test (45 minutes)
- A French or German or Spanish test (45 minutes)
- A Science test (1 hour)
- Candidates may also take an optional Latin test
- A short interview with a senior member of staff
Tests are based upon the Common Entrance Syllabus for each subject and the National Curriculum.
On the basis of these entrance tests offers may be made for entrance. Where performance in the entrance examination is deemed worthy, a scholarship will be offered. There is no separate scholarship examination.
13+ sample papers
Below are English and Mathematics samples papers for 13+.
The 13+ science test is a one hour multiple choice paper divided into 4 topics (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Science Skills) and there are 20 questions on each topic. There are no sample papers available for Modern Foreign Language or verbal reasoning, but are available to purchase from all book shops or online.
If you are interested in entry to the school in any other year group, please contact our Admissions team on 01926 776414 / firstname.lastname@example.org