Whether you dream of becoming an elite performer in your sport, or just love spending time being active with your friends – Warwick School Sport has a place for you. Pupils at Warwick are encouraged to fully immerse themselves into the life of the school, and involvement in sport is key to this.
The school prides itself on providing an enjoyable, purposeful and varied programme of sporting activities aiming to develop a love of physical activity that extends beyond the pupils’ time here at Warwick. We want Warwick pupils to “aim higher”, to grow and improve in all that they do, to conduct themselves positively and to be an inspiration to those around them, both within the school and the wider community. In order to achieve this, we encourage pupils and staff to embrace our six School Values of curiosity, creativity, courage, perseverance, responsibility and humility.
The Rugby, Hockey, Cricket, and Tennis programmes all provide regular training and fixtures for the majority of pupils at the school. Additionally, there are opportunities in a variety of other sports that are included in our Core PE curriculum, Games provision or as part of our Co-Curricular sports club programme. Pupils can enjoy Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Canoeing, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Cross-country, Dodgeball, Football, Handball, Indoor Climbing, Gaelic Football, Racket Ball, Sailing, Squash, Swimming, Table Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Uni-hoc, Water Polo, and more…
Our provision also includes:
- High quality and experienced teachers and coaches.
- Access to outstanding facilities including nine grass rugby pitches, a synthetic rugby pitch, two artificial hockey pitches, 5 cricket fields, a swimming pool, a performance gym and a fitness suite, two squash courts and two sports halls.
- Strength and Conditioning programming and training.
- Mentoring and individual athlete support.
- Regular fixtures (midweek and weekends) and events for all performance levels in a variety of sports.
- A programme of support for high performing level pupils.
- Opportunities for those who are developing their skills or engage with sport as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Sports tours (domestic and international).
- A highly competitive programme of inclusive House sport.
Warwick pupils have enjoyed significant national success in a variety of sports, in particular:
- Our 1st XV Rugby team have reached the final of the National School’s Cup competition four times in the last seven years - winning on two occasions (2017, 2018) and finishing as runners up in 2015 and 2019. In 2020 the team made it through to the finals, only for Covid to see the competition cancelled. The U15s have also shared in this success, winning in 2013 and 2014 and finishing as runners up in 2015 and 2017.
- Our 1st XI Hockey team reached the England Hockey Cup quarter finals in 2019. In 2023 the U12, U13 and U14 teams all won their respective county championships qualifying them for the knock-out stages of the regional finals.
- In 2022 our U13 cricketers reached the National semi-finals losing to the eventual winners Kings Macclesfield. 2016 our U15s reached the National T20 final losing to Millfield which was played at Arundel Castle. Our U13 and U15 age group teams regularly reach the regional rounds in their respective ESCA and HMC cup competitions.
- Our swim teams continue to excel at an inter-school and national level. Age group teams are regular finalists at the English Schools Swimming Association Championships (ESSA) held each year at the London Olympic Aquatic Centre. In 2023 our Senior Swim Team achieved great success by gaining a podium position at the historic Bath Cup, for the first time in our history. Also, in the pool we run a vibrant water polo section enabling us to field competitive teams in all age groups in National Competitions.
Importantly, our sporting successes have been built on ‘homegrown talent’ developed from within the school, and this is something we are immeasurably proud of.
No matter where pupils appear on the sporting spectrum, Warwick School strives to provide a programme of sport and activity that is challenging and enjoyable. Our hope is that when boys look back as Old Warwickians, they have fond memories of their sporting experiences and value the time spent together outside of the classroom.