Skip to content ↓

A Day in the Life

Physical Education

The Physical Education department aims to provide all boys with the opportunity to develop their physical skills and interests in our extensive range of physical activities, and to enable gifted games players and athletes to pursue their chosen sport to high levels of achievement. ‚Äč

All boys take Physical Education as part of the core curriculum and it is a highly valued part of their education at Warwick.

The year is split into small blocks of six weeks, when pupils enjoy many different physical activities. Each group has a single period (55 minutes) of PE per week and this continues throughout the year. The areas of focus which vary in each age group include: swimming, water polo, basketball, Health related fitness, SAQ (speed agility quickness), cardiovascular fitness training, circuit training, invasion game principles (including handball, football, hockey), dodgeball, badminton, squash, tennis and softball.

The philosophy is to allow a real sport-for-all approach, and groups are encouraged to enjoy a wide range of physical activities.

Director of Sport - Mr T W Hancock

Head of Academic PE - Mr I Willis

Read more… 

The major games activities in the Michaelmas and Lent terms are rugby, hockey, cross-country and swimming whilst cricket, athletics and tennis occupy the Summer term. School teams are also selected in badminton, basketball, clay pigeon shooting, fencing, real tennis, table tennis, golf, rowing, squash and water polo.

International recognition has been achieved by many teams across a range of sports and many individuals have achieved County, Regional and National selection whilst all pupils are encouraged to participate in a wide variety of activities. There are also a number of clubs which meet regularly during the week including canoeing, judo, lifesaving, rock climbing, sailing and weight-training. A ski trip is arranged by the department each year, and sports teams regularly tour abroad to many parts of the world.

Course Specification


At GCSE level the new OCR specification is followed. Assessment will be by way of one written examination. The theory units willhave a 60% weighting, practical coursework activities (made up of 3 different activities) make up the remaining 40% of the course.

  • Applied anatomy and physiology / physical training – 1hr exam (30%)
  • Socio-cultural influences/sports psychology/health, fitness and well-being - 1hr exam (30%) of total GCSE.
  • Practical activity assessment [3 practical activities] & evaluating and analysing performance (controlled assessment) – (40%)
A Level 

This A Level would suit candidates who are:

  • interested in Physical Education and Sport and enjoy working in an independent way
  • wanting to develop their own sporting performance
  • enjoy studying a subject which is relevant to their own lives and experiences
  • interested in pursuing a career in sport

At A Level the new OCR specification is followed:

Physiological factors affecting performance    30%
Psychological factors affecting performance   20%
Socio-cultural issues in physical activity and sport  20%
Performance in physical education   30%

Sports beyond the curriculum